About Our Carousel

Ride Information:

4 rows 64 jumping horses and 7 standing horses
1 menagerie animal 2 chariots
Bruder Organ from the Stubbman Carousel

About Our Carousel

1901

1901:
Did you ever notice how carousel horses move up and down, and appear to jump? This is due to an ingeniously simple crank mechanism carousels simply rotated around, often under steam power.

In 1901 Coney Island inventor William F. Mangels was awarded U.S. patent 669842, which read, "The invention relates to merry-go-rounds having crank-shafts for imparting movement to the seats; and the object of the invention is to provide certain new and useful improvements in the construction of merry-go-rounds. Mangels also built the frame for the Flushing Meadows Carousel. This machine is a true New York treasure.

1903

1903:
The Flushing Meadows Carousel was made from the merger of two carousels. The first was the Feltman’s carousel, which opened at Coney Island in 1903. You may know the name Feltman from the history of the hot dog. Although there is no exact person credited with inventing the hot dog, Charles Feltman is considered by many to be its creator. He had a large restaurant and the carousel ran there for decades, finally closing in 1963 when Feltman’s was bulldozed to make way for the new Astroland Park.

(Photo courtesy of the National Carousel Association www.nationalcarousel.org)

1908

1908:
In 1908 the Stubbman’s Beer Garden Carousel opened at Coney Island. Like the Feltman carousel, Stubbman’s machine had a frame from William Mangels and the carvings were done by master carver Marcus Illions. Illions believed in handmade carvings and fought against mass production of the machines in the early 1900′s, he saw carousels as a work of art. As one of the premier carousel carvers from the Coney Island school of carving, many of Illions’ carvings showcased fantasy and flamboyance. They also show a distinct progression in craftsmanship.

(Photo courtesy of the National Carousel Association www.nationalcarousel.org)

1964

1964:
In 1963 the American Cavalcade Corporation was formed. It purchased the Feltman horses, menagerie, chariots and band organ for $12,500 and $25,000 for the entire Stubbman carousel. All of the pieces on the carousel are really consider priceless today. These were combined into the Carousel at Carousel Park for the 1964 World’s Fair. In the winter of 1964 they were restored by an artist in a Coney Island warehouse. This effort was spearheaded by New York City patent attorney Greer Marechal. He wanted to use the Feltman carousel at the fair, but it was in such bad disrepair that he also purchased the Stubbman machine for additional parts. This carousel ran at the World’s Fair from 1964-65.

(Photo courtesy of Bill Cotter www.worldsfairphotos.com)

1968

1968:
The carousel found a permanent home in the park.

(Photo courtesy of the New York Department of Parks and Recreation www.nycgovparks.com)

2012

2012:
NY Carousel begins restoring the carousel and re-opens it for the summer season. The refurbishment is expected to last over a decade.

2013

2013:
The Flushing Meadows Carousel becomes the center piece of New York’s newest amusement park- Fantasy Forest. The classic ride is joined by 4 other amusement rides, including Queen’s only roller coaster, and becomes the most exciting corner of Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.